Queensland Storm Season
Welcome to summer in South East Queensland, where we have beautiful blue sky and climbing humidity one minute, then threatening clouds and storm warnings the next. It’s important to understand that these storms can be dangerous and cause damage. To ensure you are prepared and aware of the services available, we have compiled a list of general information as well as important websites and phone numbers should you require assistance.
What can you do to prepare?
Register for Brisbane’s early warning service
This service provides an alert to provide you with advanced warning about a severe weather event.
Prepare an Emergency kit
An example of the items you should have readily available include:
- Torch with spare batteries
- First aid kit
- Move your car undercover. Do not park under trees
- Do not drive through flooded roads
- Do not shower or touch metal surfaces during an electrical storm
- Unplug unnecessary appliances
- Secure loose items/furniture and tree branches in your yard
- Clean out gutters and downpipes
- Tune into local news for storm updates
- Follow evacuation advice from authorities
For further details check out the Storm Wise website to make sure you are prepared.
What phone numbers should you know?
Life threatening emergencies (Police/fire/ambulance)
State Emergency Service (SES)
If you need assistance during floods for non-life threatening emergency situations
Ph: 132 500
Have you lost power? Are there power lines down?
Ph: 13 19 62
What websites should you check?
This website will provide you with the most up to date information on current weather warnings in your area.
Is your home at risk of flooding? You can collect sandbags from your local SES depot.
Back to News