James Cook University (JCU) is the second oldest university in Queensland and Australia's leading university in the tropics. Offering excellence in teaching and research, JCU is a vibrant, multi-campus university with its main sites in the tropical Queensland cities of Townsville and Cairns, and modern city campuses in Singapore and Brisbane.
JCU is recognised around the world for its expertise in marine biology, environmental studies, tropical health, and tourism. Our professional coursework programs are accredited by industry and professional associations and many professionals are guest lecturers for our postgraduate programs. Over the past five years, JCU academics have won 31 national awards for teaching excellence from the Australian Teaching and Learning Council - more than many larger universities. JCU rankings
- JCU is a leader in teaching and research addressing the critical challenges facing the Tropics, worldwide.
- JCU is ranked in the top 2% of universities in the pre-eminent global rankings system, the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU, 2016)
- The Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings also recognises JCU’s standing as a world-class institution, placing JCU in the top 251-300 of the world’s universities (THE World University Rankings 2015).
- First in the world for citations in the field of coral reef ecology and is in the top three in its fields of research strength in ecology and environment, plant and animal sciences and geosciences.
- Top 12 tourism education institutions in the world and is recognised for its special focus on ecotourism.
JCU courses will give you opportunities for hands-on experience from internships, vacation placements, and real-world projects with business, industry and government organisations. JCU works with employers and industry group to make sure our courses reflect best industry practice.
Supportive Study Environment
JCU recognises that knowledge has the power to change lives and strives to create a student centred learning environment, where students are able to take full advantage of their university experience. With friendly campuses, smaller class sizes, accessible teaching staff, and excellent support services including study skills and student mentor programs, our students receive the personal attention they need to achieve their best.
Study with us and you will learn from expert teachers. Over the past five years, JCU academics have won more than 31 citations for teaching excellence from the Australian Teaching and Learning Council - more teaching awards than many larger universities. JCU teaching staff are higly qualified and dedicated. Innovation in the use of teaching styles and technologies is fundamental to JCU's approach to teaching.
Graduates and Discoveries That Make A Difference
James Cook University is about people and place, and we adopt new methods, new approaches and new technologies to help our students develop the skills, abilities and knowledge base they need to succeed.
Campuses & Study Centres
- Vice Chancellor's Welcome
- JCU Brisbane Campus
- Our Staff
- Our Locations
- Image Gallery
- Contact Us